Thursday, January 23, 2014

Intuition and Change

As you probably have guessed from other posts, I work very hard to be as prepared as possible for rehearsals.  In this phase of the game that means having blocking arranged and set for single actors and groups of actors:  "move here", "cross there", "hold til the end, then go".  I have a reason for everything that they are being asked to do--whether the actor asks me or not initially, eventually it will come up: "Why am I doing this?".  I also give general backstory information:"You're all family of sorts"  or  "You are used to him doing this--he does it all the time"  I ask them to think about and make decisions about the relationships they have with the people on stage...that affects how they move and why.  Finally, when the basic blocking is done and mostly cleaned up we can go back to the best question I've ever used: "What problem are you trying to solve here?"  That makes things immediate, specific and personal...which makes it authentic and exciting!  We are not there yet.

What's interesting to me--and a curiosity--is how much of the work of delivering this information to individual actors is intuition based.  Not necessarily the "traffic pattern" blocking where large groups just   need to move to get on or off stage, but the more specific, smaller movements that are so closely tied to the character's story that the actor is telling.  For example, tonight I worked with an actor that I  don't know very well.  I don't know yet how this actor prepares or processes, so part of my delivery has to be adjusted while I'm in the process of delivering it.  I had a large amount of information about how the character moves to share with this actor, and had to make some guesses about how to start.  I don't want to overload the actor.  I do want to start working on some very specific things.  I have to "feel" the actor out, moment by moment.  It's a balancing act, and each actor responds differently to everything I do.  That back and forth is my most favorite part of this work...the dialogue, the push and pull, the feeling of discovery and opening up when an actor finds something new...all very good stuff, both tonight and in general!  

I find myself using actors' bodies as a starting point., alot.   Asking them to notice a particular stance, posture or position they habitually hold or find themselves in and then asking them to alter it subtly or dramatically, and then checking in to see how if feels for their character.  I think actors are surprised by how much their bodies can help them figure things out! It definitely unlocks them a bit.  

Also at tonight's rehearsal, we had a cast member drop out...and not an insignificant role.  We quickly re-cast and moved 2 actors to new roles, but....the show I first imagined is gone before I even had a chance to play with it.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.  Both actors that are in new roles are good and bring great things to their new roles...it's just not my original vision or choice or whatever the word is...I think I'm still in a state of shock.  This on top of EVERYTHING ELSE that happens at every rehearsal!!

I also discovered that my younger actors don't function well past 8:30 at night.  Poor Gavroche was ready to fall over!  

I'll leave you with a piece of wisdom from Kerstin:
"Because I found it hard, I felt honored."

To the Barricades!

No comments:

Post a Comment