Sunday, February 9, 2014

Finding the Shape

As we move through this rehearsal process, my thoughts about "where to go next" are changing.  When we first started, I grappled with putting down basic blocking shapes, and the enormity of that task!  Now that we are about 5 weeks in, I am able to start looking at the show as a whole--instead of in bloody blocking sections!--and seeing if the shape of it matches the story.  I can determine if we need to stagger entrances and exits, extend a moment, speed up a moment, move people so things are balanced visually or even unbalanced visually to heighten an important plot point.  I am starting to have a sense of dynamics--what the story requires in terms of tempo, coloration, intensity, and again, shape.

This is my favorite part of the rehearsal process!  I'm able to start carving time for individual and small group work--so important to create the details and continuity that are critical to the "shape", authenticity and vibrancy of the story.  And more importantly, so the actors can start thinking more deeply about "What problem am I solving right now, and how am I solving it?"  I can suggest ideas and map circumstances to guide them toward the maximum range of choices for their character.  I know what I want, but the actors have to explore and discover a lot of stuff before we nail it down!

Today, I worked with Mark and Ian;  our Javert and JVJ.  We started with the first scene that they do together and worked through all of the scenes they share--from top to bottom.  Even though the scenes are separate, and they don't ever have consecutive scenes--I wanted them to have a chance to choose how to show their characters' changes as the story progresses.  They share a story arc, and examining the details within each scene will specify and focus their choices as they move through the show...almost like markers.  For example:   "If I have to feel and do "this"for the scene withe Javert, then I need to do this here for this scene"

Friday night, I had an ENTIRE rehearsal with my "Barricade Boys"; our first rehearsal with all of them present since we've started!!  I had Jane warm them up hard--til they were sweaty.  Then I had them to do "impact" work--as we did in auditions--pretending to be hit by bullets, and working to extend and stylize the impact through their whole bodies.  I then had them do some group improv work around team-work by setting the task of crossing the stage without touching the stage.  They figured out why pretty quickly...I wanted them to start building relationships based on their characters.  I had then stand in a line with Enjolras at one end and Grantaire at the other...kind of a continuum between skepticicsm and revolutionary zeal.   They had to place themselves where they thought their characters would be..somewhere between Enjolras and Grantaire.  I asked them to look at where their comrades were and how their relationships might be affected.  Definitely started some conversations about what they stood for, and what they "bring to the table" for the revolution!
The best part was that after our rehearsal, Ben, our Enjolras, said, "We should all go play Paintball!"  Perfect

I just got a call from my stage manager--have to look at the rehearsal schedule...one of our updates isn't going to work because of an absent actor.  GRrrrrrrrr...impossible puzzle.

To the Schedule!
KAK


No comments:

Post a Comment