Monday, October 14, 2013

I've been  working with my sometime voice teacher, Bill Reed--aka, Dr. Vernon Reed, PhD--on musical and structural analysis of the script and score.  Bill has transformed my singing voice, and when he generously offered to mentor me through this process, I jumped at the chance.  We've done a little bit of everything:  score analysis, composition lectures, breaking down individual songs--but the best and most useful work for me is to use Bill as a sounding board.  I wrestle constantly with the question of doing this "right".  His response:  "there is no right or wrong, good or bad...there's only true".  That was very freeing to hear!  He also suggested that I think about the difference between a craftsman and an artist...ooops!  More later.   It's time for my Rats rehearsal!

No comments:

Post a Comment