Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Nature of Procrastination...

The Nature of Procrastination is this:  it's difficult for me to know when I am procrastinating and when I am percolating.  I've been restless and irritable, and flit--without doing any real work-- from one Les Mis task to the next.  This either means that I am fomenting and putting things together in my head--under the surface, so to speak...OR, it means I have to stop drinking coffee and put the damn lego people on the set model to get it blocked. 

Here is the real deep dark secret of my procrastination....  I hate working out blocking.  It's tedious.  It requires that I focus spatially rather than verbally.  It makes my brain tired, and makes me feel uncertain--"Is it really going to work?"  Lots of questions and minutia come up about traffic patterns, exits, entrances and other dry details.   It's a multi-step process that requires that I come back to it over and over again--NOT a one and done. It's frankly just a lot of work.   I always try to create a framework before I even have actors, then try it on them to see if it can work, or even be improved.  I like the give and take when actors have ideas...but I also know that given the amount of hours required for music and choreo--I will save all  of us a lot of time if I am over-prepared with pre-blocking...

...which brings me back to my whiny soliloquy about procrastination. (sigh)  Well, I'm hearing this loud and clear--definitely procrastination.  I just need to dive in and start.  Isn't there a quote about that?  The longest journey begins with the first step...something like that. And what a coincidence!  I have a three hour chunk of time after my first appointment and before my Rats rehearsal!

You know where I'm headed!

To the Barricades!  (the Lego ones!)

No comments:

Post a Comment