Monday, November 18, 2013

The Frenzy begins, and another word about fit....

So, kick-off is in less than two days and, and, and.....I am so psyched, excited, pumped to finally start thinking about real people in these roles! I want so much for people to have information and background specifics that they can work with...we've asked people to make decisions, make choices about the characters and the songs so that they can act them, not just sing them.  Is it best to leave it up to the auditionees or to send some direction their way by including the context/background info of the audition songs?  I lean toward including it, but I also know that not everyone is a visual learner or reader like me.  How can I get the essentials of character circumstances across...and are they even essentials?

 The amount of people who have spoken to me about auditions is--hmmm...not daunting , necessarily, but certainly distracting. It's an un-needed ego trip.  I have to keep reminding myself--and excuse me if this sounds cold-blooded--but, that people know what they are in for when they audition for this show, or any show.  That auditionees know that it's either a "yes" or a "no"; we all hope for a "yes", but have to deal with a "no".  I am usually pretty clear about what I want in auditions and casting, and am decidedly lacking in the warm fuzzy/touchy-feely/"sad I can't cast you, my friend" mind-set.  I want the show that's in my head to come alive and I know what cast will make that happen....nothing less will suffice.  This is why I surround myself with people who are not as "black or white" as I am...I have the final say, but I lean heavily on my team for reality checks and balance.

Sean has a great analogy about blood and casting.  Christina uses a physical analogy with scarves and patterns. How can we help people understand that casting is all about fit, from the lead role to last ensemble player?  I'm a good singer and I've missed out on huge roles--not because I'm without talent but because someone else fit the part better.  I'm hoping we can tame the frenzy a bit tomorrow by speaking calmly about what we are looking for, by reminding people that not everyone is going to make it, and that this is a subjective process.  It doesn't mean you don't have talent!

I must sleep now...
to the Dream Barricades!
Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment