Monday, March 31, 2014

Tech, Day 2

Today, Monday, is Day 2 of our super tech weekend.  I am taking a quick dinner break after working on cues with Andy, Tom and Cheri.  We started about 9AM, and it's about 4:45PM.  Everything is moving along very smoothly--it's just a monstrous show.  Lots of atmospheric light cues, moving parts, projection changes, set movements that crews are still learning.  We started yesterday about 9AM, with cast arriving for mic set up at 11AM.  One of our cast members tweeted about 5PM: You know it's tech when it's 5PM and Fantine is still alive."  HA!  So, it 's been a very loooong weekend.  I think that I've logged about 48 hours since Friday!

One of the things we've been talking about is how tech might change with our new production facility.  Having the barricade in the space for the last 5 weeks has been an invaluable assistance to getting our cast more ready than they have ever been for a tech.  The next evolution will be to get the crews to that space and get them practicing.  The possibilities are really amazing.  We were able to fly Mark, work on set pieces and have props weeks ahead of schedule.  Imagine how that could affect designers and techs if they knew they could practice/run with crews/actors ahead of our scheduled time at the Flynn??  If I were to do this again, I would build in time for crews to practice and run with the show in the rehearsal space for at least a week before move-in.

The show looks absolutely gorgeous!  The projections and stage pictures are beautiful by themselves, but when we add the cast in--it just pops in the most amazing way.  It really is breath-taking....and we haven't even seen the costumes, yet!  It's a beautiful design concept all the way around:   props, lights, sets, costumes...very excited to see it all together.  That should happen Wednesday and Thursday.

I'm still giving notes to actors and I plan to until Wednesday evening.  There are moments that are still not quite right, and I want them to be.  I'll warn them ahead of time!  Notes a'coming!

Alright.  Off I go--back to the theatre!

It's 5PM.  Actors and crew arriving as I write...I can see them through the window!  Kountry Kart Deli is having a great night!
To the Barricades!




No comments:

Post a Comment